Tue, Nov 08|
King of Prussia
Serger Club: Sweatshirt
Serge a Sweatshirt-Style Top Tuesday, November 8, 6-9pm
Time & Location
Nov 08, 2022, 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
King of Prussia, 314 S Henderson Rd, King of Prussia, PA 19406, USA
About the event
The crew neck sweatshirt-style top is making a fashion comeback and is a staple for everyday wear. This style is fast, simple, and can be made on a serger from start to finish. Make this top from a sweatshirt fleece, french terry, cozy sweater knit – the fabric possibilities are endless. You will learn basic top constructions including seams and sleeves, and more specialized construction for neckline, cuffs, and bands. Techniques will include differential feed, quartering, sewing in the round, and more. Pamela will also give you her tips for picking the right knits, band ratio, and stabilizing. What you learn in this class will carry over to help you get great results for any fashion serging projects in your future!
· Serger, set up for a four-thread serge stitch, thread to match or blend with fabric.
· Basic sewing supplies including a point turner and safety pin/bodkin
· Purchase and download the Adult Classic Sweatshirt pattern from Peek-A-Boo Pattern Shop.
· You can print the pattern yourself or send to a copy shop for printing. Pamela says: I printed this out at home, the sweatshirt pieces are only twelve pages, and it was easy to put together! If you have any trouble, please contact me and I will help you through the process.
· 1.5 yds (XS-L) - 1.75yds (XL-XXXL) 60” wide knit fabric. Choose fleece, french terry, sweater, novelty – pretty much anything goes (just not too thin!).
· Prewash the fabric.
Fabric Idea – pick a coordinating fabric for the sleeves and/or bands!
Fabric Cutting and Prep:
You will need to get your fabric cutting and prep done prior to class. Label your pieces for easy access.
· Check page 2 of the pattern instructions. Pick your size by measuring the full bust/chest. The sweatshirt is a bit oversized making for an easy and relaxed fit.
Fitting Tip: Pamela checked for her desired body and sleeve length before cutting, and also went out a size at the hips.
· Trace your pattern size for the front/back and sleeve only (we will not be using the hood or pocket).
· Cut out one front, one back, and two sleeves from your fabric.
· Cut one - 6” strip WOF (width of fabric) for bottom band.
· Cut two – 6” X 12” pieces for the cuffs
· Cut one – 2.5” X 25” for the neckband
We will customize the lengths of the bottom band, cuff, and neckband during the class.
Serged Sweatshirt$50.00Sold Out
This event is sold out